This month's featured consultant; Renate Geluk - Consultant at KorumLegal.
1. What made you leave the more ‘conventional’ legal practice to join the ‘Gig Economy’ as a Consultant?
It is great way to experience various companies and industries within a short period, giving access to contacts you may not have met otherwise.
2. How has your experience outside law helped your legal skills as a consultant? - What have you found is the "value add" or "special skills" that you bring to a client as a legal consultant?
Having worked in different companies, sectors and countries, I have developed my interpersonal skills helping me to easily connect and communicate with all levels within a company.
3. Can you tell us more about the lows and highs of your career in Law so far?
Working all night on transactions in private practice, with a great adrenaline rush, champagne closings and team spirit, provided both lows and highs. But my high so far has most definitely been moving to Hong Kong and continuing my career in law here.
4. Any surprising or juicy anecdotes of your experience being a legal Consultant?
Office life! It is amazing how quickly you are up to speed on the daily “struggles” within the office!
5. What would you say to lawyers in private practice or in-house who are considering a more flexible workstyle?
At least give the ‘gig economy’ a try! Only when you have experienced it, you can truly say whether it suits what you’re looking for. If it is not your taste, then still you will have gained a lot of experience through your assignments.
6. Tell us two interesting truths and one white lie about yourself
As an intern with Allen & Overy in Amsterdam, I babysat the city mansion (and cat) of the partner (and current minister in the Netherlands) during his holiday. The mansion was just fine, but the cat did run away for a bit…
My husband is also a lawyer, we met at a law firm, both still work in law, we make silly legal jokes and are really picky when reading each other’s emails. But other than that, we do talk about other topics every now and then.
I am absolutely horrible with plants. It is as if plants just have to perish as soon as I bring them in the house. No water, sun or fertilizer seem to help. Some plants even develop a good sense of karma around me, since my favourite bonsai tree (a gift from close friends) died the same day our friends separated.
Read our newsletter next month to find out about Renate's white lie.
KorumLegal is a boutique legal consultancy committed to providing value innovation in legal service delivery. The legal services industry is continuing to change with 'NewLaw' – and clients are seeking more innovative and cost-effective solutions without compromise on experience and quality.