Legal Consultant Profiles: "The Flexible Adventurer" Renate Geluk - Looking Back.
- Can you tell us about what you have been up to since we last spoke last year?
I have been “gigging” as a KorumLegal consultant for nearly a year and currently on my second engagement with an American worldwide toy and board game company. So far, so good!
- What have you learnt from your recent assignments?
For me it is a continuous learning process. Every company, every legal role and legal department is different. I have learned to adapt to a new environment quickly and take previous experience with me to do so. I already noticed it gets easier every time, even though it is only my second engagement.
- How do you deal with challenging situations in a new workplace as a legal consultant?
Do not be afraid to ask! You are new and people are generally willing to help. A positive attitude goes a long way. There is also the KorumLegal community of experienced consultants who are willing to help you out.
- With the added flexibility of working in the ‘Gig Economy’, what have you been able to achieve outside of your legal consulting career?
I took the flexibility to recharge and discover Japan and Bangkok. It has also positively changed my mindset, seeing and taking opportunities when they arise in the broadest sense: whether that is the flexibility to take a break, but also to meet new people and enjoy different legal work working within different companies.
- Do you have any tips for consultants looking into joining the flexible workforce? Any Dos and Don’ts?
Give it try! Have an open mindset and invest – that’s how I am getting the most out of it. Since flexibility can also come with uncertainty, consider if that fits you at this point in your life/career.
To find out more about Renate and why she decided to join the 'Gig Economy', read her previous 2018 Consultant Q&A here.