- What made you leave the more ‘conventional’ legal practice to join the ‘Gig Economy’ as a Consultant?
Research…. I resigned from the "conventional" legal practice to write a Ph.D. thesis comparing Hong Kong and French companies laws to advocate flexibility and adaptability to the French companies. This three-year break from the "conventional" legal practice allowed me to realize that I could bring flexible legal consulting to companies.
- How has your experience outside law helped your legal skills as a consultant? - What have you found is the "value add" or "special skills" that you bring to a client as a legal consultant?
Growth mindset… our clients are international SME's, which are growing and changing fast in a destabilizing environment. I developed my adaptability to propose effective strategies to my clients in which laws and contracts are not obstacles but strong support to business development. I enjoy drawing my legal creativity from diversified companies' cultures and laws.
- Can you tell us more about the highs and lows of your career in law so far?
Working in a "conventional" legal practice in Hong Kong for 12 years was awesome. I learned so much on client management, firm management and myself. But I was disappointed in the way that I could not take enough time to study law at a satisfactory level. The research I conducted during my Ph.D. was fulfilling: it really fed my intellectual curiosity… and, I realized being a consultant was so reachable!
- What would you say to lawyers in private practice or in-house who are considering a more flexible work style?
Try!!!!!! A career is less and less "a job for a lifetime"… legal consultant may be the job of a lifetime though ;-) Seriously, if you are considering a more flexible work style, go for it. If you realise that it is not for you, you would have learned a lot on yourself and on your personal and professional expectations.
- Do you have a weird talent?
I love when my family members or my friends get together. I love organizing hikes, games, movies or sightseeing with my family or parties where my friends with different backgrounds mingle and have fun all together… and they say I am good at it!
KorumLegal is a boutique legal consultancy committed to providing value innovation in legal service delivery. The legal services industry is continuing to change with 'NewLaw' – and clients are seeking more innovative and cost-effective solutions without compromise on experience and quality.