Legal Consultant Profile: "The Flexible Researcher" Dr. Nathalie Tortellier.
We cast the spotlight on the fantastic, Nathalie Tortellier. She shares with us her legal journey and how she ended up in the 'gig economy'.
- What made you leave the more ‘conventional’ legal practice to join the ‘Gig Economy’ as a Consultant?
Research…. I resigned from the "conventional" legal practice to write a Ph.D. thesis comparing Hong Kong and French companies laws to advocate flexibility and adaptability to the French companies. This three-year break from the "conventional" legal practice allowed me to realize that I could bring flexible legal consulting to companies.
- How has your experience outside law helped your legal skills as a consultant? - What have you found is the "value add" or "special skills" that you bring to a client as a legal consultant?
Growth mindset… our clients are international SME's, which are growing and changing fast in a destabilizing environment. I developed my adaptability to propose effective strategies to my clients in which laws and contracts are not obstacles but strong support to business development. I enjoy drawing my legal creativity from diversified companies' cultures and laws.
- Can you tell us more about the highs and lows of your career in law so far?
Working in a "conventional" legal practice in Hong Kong for 12 years was awesome. I learned so much on client management, firm management and myself. But I was disappointed in the way that I could not take enough time to study law at a satisfactory level. The research I conducted during my Ph.D. was fulfilling: it really fed my intellectual curiosity… and, I realized being a consultant was so reachable!
- What would you say to lawyers in private practice or in-house who are considering a more flexible work style?
Try!!!!!! A career is less and less "a job for a lifetime"… legal consultant may be the job of a lifetime though ;-) Seriously, if you are considering a more flexible work style, go for it. If you realise that it is not for you, you would have learned a lot on yourself and on your personal and professional expectations.
- Do you have a weird talent?
I love when my family members or my friends get together. I love organizing hikes, games, movies or sightseeing with my family or parties where my friends with different backgrounds mingle and have fun all together… and they say I am good at it!
May 31, 2019